Narrated by Michael Kramer
Run Time: 12 hrs, 37 min
Excited for more in the Mistborn universe. Okay, so the book’s been out a few years and I’m late to this party, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s awesome to see that world grow.
- Wax is a good if somewhat typical leading character. He’s Twinborn, so he’s got some pretty cool powers.
- Wayne’s a loveable side character. I particularly liked his penchant for imitating accents to get what he wants out of people. He’s got some depth in that there are definite skeletons in his closet, but he’s also got an irrepressible air about him.
- Marasi provides a nice counterpoint to Wax’s stuffiness and Wayne’s shenanigans.
- World-building is awesome as usual.
- Michael Kramer’s performance fit the story well.
- Plot: There’s at least one sweet (okay disturbing) twist at the end of the book.
- I don’t really read much steampunk, so this was refreshing. It’s not a “normal” take on the early 1900’s life. It’s awesome to see the Mistborn world develop over time.
If you enjoyed the Mistborn Trilogy, give this a shot. I think you can read it without The Alloy of Law, but it might be more interesting if you have that as an intro. I look forward to the sequel, Bands of Mourning. I may have to start it over because I got an hour in before realizing it was set after Shadows of Self.
Associate links to follow…
Note: I’m starting to use a few ad sites for audiobooks, so codes are disappearing quickly.
Available Audiobooks: I have free codes for almost everything. That will change very soon.
New Release: The Shadow Council Series 1: Money Makes it Deadlier – An FBI agent gets caught up in a robbery gone wrong.
Shadow Council Book 2: Revenge Makes it Sweeter – A midnight summons calls FBI Special Agent Megan Luchek into a fight for a young girl’s life.
Shadow Council Book 3: Christmas Makes it Chaos – The FBI agent gets a strange ally in the quest to prevent chaos from rocking a lot of people’s holiday season.
Shadow Council Book 4: Treachery Makes it Tense – The agent and the assassin have to team up if they want to survive.
Shadow Council is also available as a ~13 hr bundle.
The Collins Case – 2 FBI agents track down a kidnapped family. Kid friendly.
If fantasy’s more your thing, go Redeemer Chronicles. The first, Awakening, is available as an audiobook.
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – a kid deals with her parents’ divorce, bullies, and the wonder of discovery.
Try The Dark Side of Science – Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live.
Beyond Broken Pencils – Contemporary literary tale of a school shooting. Ian unleashes his inner demons on his classmates and teachers…
Scratched Off – FBI agent vs a serial killer. When Sam Kerman sets out to hunt a serial killer, he has no idea how personal the case will become.
One thought on “4.5/5 Stars: Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson”
It’s really a nice and helpful piece of info. I’m satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
Comments are closed.