Narrated by Carrie Coello
Run Time: 4 hrs and 34 mins
Amira and Lex take on a case of creepy haunting (minus the creep factor).
- I think the series has potential, but many times in the book, I got the “nothing is happening” vibe. Maybe it was a missing sense of danger. The hauntings never seemed dangerous. The characters got a few bumps and bruises but that’s about it.
- If you’ve read the back cover, you’ve read 90% of the book.
- This is the second book in the series. While I don’t think hearing the first is vitally important, it may have helped with knowing the main characters better.
- Characters 3/5: Amira and Lex are okay, but they don’t seem to have a lot of chemistry. The conflict between them (his overprotectiveness, her dying need to prove herself) didn’t really play out in more than words and a few “well, the Walker women are stubborn” sentiments. Sidekicks didn’t have enough page-time to be useful. The suspects read like a clue game. (The cook, the girlfriend, the unlikable victim, the assistant, the hot stable guy whose also a repressed actor)
- The book gives off cozy mystery vibes, but there’s no cute animal companion. I feel gypped. It needs a surly but charming cat.
- Amira’s sister Riz (sorry, I heard the audiobook, so I have no idea how to spell that) has potential. She’ll likely get her own book later in the series.
- Clean read. Normalizes being a witch, but leaves the whole spell thing (desire spell, guilt spell) and séance running at the harmless parlor trick level. The characters don’t feel the slightest bit guilty about using magic to suit their current needs.
- Performance was suitably perky. (That fits Amira stylistically.) Characters could be distinguished.
Kind of disappears into the genre for me (doesn’t stand out), but I think it will appeal to fans of cozy paranormal.
Audiobook Promotions …
33 of my 36 audible titles are listed on Audiobooks Unleashed.
Whether you’re looking for mystery or suspense or fantasy, I’ve got a title for you. Never Again (mystery, suspense) and Reshner’s Royal Ranger (epic sci-fi) just made it there.
Note: Filter by US if you’re looking for those codes as many titles are out.
Ones I think may still have US codes: Reshner’s Royal Ranger, Never Again, Innova, The Golden City Captives, The Holy War, Reclaim the Darklands, Eagle Eyes, Treachery Makes it Tense, Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts, The Dark Side of Science, Ashlynn’s Dreams, Nadia’s Tears, Malia’s Miracles, and Varick’s Quest
Devya’s Children Series Links:
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – short stories featuring Jillian.
The Dark Side of Science – official prequel to Devya’s Children; Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live. (Def US codes for this one, but not on AU. Find me on FB)
Ashlynn’s Dreams – Genetically altered Dream Shaper learns her gift.
Nadia’s Tears – Jillian tries to awaken her sister, Nadia, from a coma.
Malia’s Miracles – Jillian and her siblings try to save a friend’s mother.
Varick’s Quest – Jillian and Danielle get kidnapped. Nadia’s also in trouble.