Narrated by Theo Holland
Shelby’s camp-owning friend has a shady past that comes back to bite him in a big way. Of course, Shelby gets in the mix.
- Shelby’s relationship with Carly is on the rocks, sort of. They’re growing apart because she wins an unpaid internship that will take her to New York City (far from Michigan). He wants to be supportive, but he knows the writing’s on the wall for them.
- Getting Shelby involved this time is kind of a stretch, but it wouldn’t be a series if the main man didn’t get dragged into trouble.
- The Sherriff finally reveals his true colors in this book.
- The twist at the end is predictable yet still satisfying.
- The tie-in to the title was pretty weak this time, but it too makes sense when you get to the last page of the book. (Or last few minutes of the audio if you listened.)
- I didn’t like it quite as much as the previous ones, but it’s a decent entry in a good series.
- Content warnings: perpetual strong language, pervasive violence. Not just gun battles this time, this goes deeper into the torture of at least one character. The last book kind of skirted details.
You could read these novellas as standalone stories, but it’s probably more satisfying to have the knowledge of the previous books.
33 of my 41 audible titles are listed on Audiobooks Unleashed.
Whether you’re looking for mystery or suspense or fantasy, I’ve got a title for you. Never Again (mystery, suspense) and Reshner’s Royal Ranger (epic sci-fi) just made it there.
Note: Filter by US if you’re looking for those codes as many titles are out.
Ones I think may still have US codes: Reshner’s Royal Ranger, Never Again, Innova, The Golden City Captives, The Holy War, Reclaim the Darklands, Eagle Eyes, Treachery Makes it Tense, Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts, The Dark Side of Science, Ashlynn’s Dreams, Nadia’s Tears, Malia’s Miracles, and Varick’s Quest
Devya’s Children Series Links:
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – short stories featuring Jillian.
The Dark Side of Science – official prequel to Devya’s Children; Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live.
Ashlynn’s Dreams – Genetically altered Dream Shaper learns her gift.
Nadia’s Tears – Jillian tries to awaken her sister, Nadia, from a coma.
Malia’s Miracles – Jillian and her siblings try to save a friend’s mother.
Varick’s Quest – Jillian and Danielle get kidnapped. Nadia’s also in trouble.