Narrated by Billy O’Shea
Run Time: 7 hrs and 35 min
Karl Nielsen’s little caper with the former king turns into a much bigger affair. There’s also a separate story like with two Irish monks, Brother Joe (who’s actually a woman) and (Brother Christopher).
- Performance 4/5: The author has a nice reading voice. He handles each character well. Many of the minor ones sound the same, but that’s to be expected. People in the same scene are distinct. That’s what counts the most.
- Story 4.5/5: Could be titled Karl’s lousy week. Promised a lucrative, quick trip, he follows along in the charismatic deposed king’s wake … and winds up in a world of trouble. The Northlanders have blockaded Cantabor (sorry about spelling, I heard the audiobook, so I’m not entirely sure on spelling). The city is starving. There’s distrust and accusations flying all over the place.
- Going deeper: If you’d like to go deeper, the plot also brings up a lot of great points about running a kingdom, being a leader, superstition, propaganda and story spin, etc. It brings up an excellent point about human nature. When things go well, people are quite willing to help their fellow man, but when times are tough, they flip to defensive mode and all bets are off.
- Characters are likable: Brother Christopher and Brother Joe are amusing. Karl’s ingenious in his own way, but he’s certainly not an action hero, which is part of his charm.
- Closure is decent: The threads here are answered for, but there is an opening for the author to continue the tale with one of the threads through the monks.
- Content rating: clean. There’s some pseudo cursing and mention (in passing) of things like torture, but nothing is described in gory detail.
- The trilogy is unique in the sense that it’s set in the future but reads like the distant past. So, it’s technically post-apocalypse, but reads like historical steampunk. It’s really an interesting mix.
- I listened to it twice. It was enjoyable both times.
A satisfying conclusion to a charming, if somewhat odd, tale of a clockmaker’s misadventures.
Audiobook Promotions …
Many of my 44 audible titles are listed on Audiobooks Unleashed.
Whether you’re looking for mystery or suspense or fantasy, I’ve got a title for you. Free codes are probably on audiobooks unleashed.
Normal links go to audible. *The Amazon labeled links are affiliate links. That means I get a very small payment from Amazon if you go through with a purchase.*
Note: Filter by US if you’re looking for those codes as many titles are out.
Ones I think may still have US codes: Reshner’s Royal Ranger, Never Again, Innova, The Golden City Captives, The Holy War, Reclaim the Darklands, Eagle Eyes, Treachery Makes it Tense, Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts, The Dark Side of Science, Ashlynn’s Dreams, Nadia’s Tears, Malia’s Miracles, and Varick’s Quest
There are plenty of UK codes, but not many US ones left.
Redeemer Chronicles (Fantasy)
Awakening – Redeemer Chronicles Book 1, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
The Holy War – Redeemer Chronicles Book 2, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
Reclaim the Darklands – Redeemer Chronicles Book 3, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
River’s Edge Ransom – Prequel to Redeemer Chronicles (Amazon) (email devyaschildren @ gmail.com for free codes)
Devya’s Children Series Links:
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – short stories featuring Jillian. (Amazon) (free codes)
The Dark Side of Science – official prequel to Devya’s Children; Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live. (Amazon) (Please email devyaschildren @ gmail.com for free codes)
Ashlynn’s Dreams – Genetically altered Dream Shaper learns her gift. (Amazon) (free codes)
Nadia’s Tears – Jillian tries to awaken her sister, Nadia, from a coma. (Amazon) (free codes)
Malia’s Miracles – Jillian and her siblings try to save a friend’s mother. (Amazon) (free codes)
Varick’s Quest – Jillian and Danielle get kidnapped. Nadia’s also in trouble. (Amazon) (free codes)
Reshner’s Royal Ranger (epic sci-fi) just made it there. (Amazon) (free codes)
Guardian Angel Files:
Spirit’s Bane – Allister and Mina are training to be Guardians. Satan’s out to get them. (Amazon) (free codes)
Kindred Spirits – Mina’s exiled to Earth. Allister’s stuck in the Heavens. (Amazon) (free codes)