Narrated by P.J. Ochlan
Run Time: 13 hrs and 10 mins
Genre: True Crime, nonfiction
Aside from the intro stuff and maybe the first few cases, there’s no real timeline to follow here. It follows the career of FBI Special Agent Jeffrey Rinek through a select number of his horrifying, heartbreaking cases.
- If you’ve followed my reviews, you know I don’t hand out 5’s like candy. I listen to a lot of different kinds of stuff. I’ve only recently started listening to true crime stuff. It’s all for research, promise, but it’s also just fascinating, disturbing, morbid, and crazy too.
- This is hands-down one of the most interesting and simultaneously horrifying and disquieting books I’ve ever listened to. It’s the first book in a long time, I finished because I wanted to finish it, not just because I had free time to listen.
- Like young Jeff, I’ve been fascinated by the FBI for a long time, but he pursued a career with them, while I just write stories about agents. I have the utmost respect for those like Agent Rinek who dedicate their lives to giving victims a voice.
- Content Warning: This book is disturbing on so many levels. Even hearing some of the horrific things people have done is gut-wrenching, especially when the crimes are committed against their own children.
- The selection of cases worked out well. There was variety.
- The narrator had good reading instincts.
- Being around death, darkness, and evil took its toll on Rinek and his family. He brought that part up a few times, but I don’t think it was overstated. It wasn’t just about missed birthdays and key events and broken promises. The man almost killed himself because of the craziness he dealt with on a daily basis.
- This book, way more than the fiction works, emphasizes the fact that some cases go unsolved, some take years and years and years to complete, and many don’t have satisfactory conclusions. They don’t always “get their man,” and nothing can bring back the dead or return a sense of innocence to the victims.
- It’s the kind of book that’s hard to say one enjoys. It was excellent and compelling, but still disturbing.
This is a brief glimpse into some of the dark side of humanity. Jeffrey Rinek and other law enforcement officials face monsters so some can sleep easier. Their service often goes unsung and unnoticed or just relegated to things like “oh, that’s the job they signed up for.” Statements like that do the profession an injustice. They truly are heroes.
*Found the book on Audible plus.
If you want to get 5 clean audio promos a month. Sign up here.
Audiobook Promotions …
Many of my 55 audible titles are listed on Audiobooks Unleashed.
Whether you’re looking for mystery or suspense or fantasy, I’ve got a title for you. Free codes are probably on audiobooks unleashed.
Normal links go to audible. *The Amazon labeled links are affiliate links. That means I get a very small payment from Amazon if you go through with a purchase.*
Note: Filter by US if you’re looking for those codes as many titles are out.
Ones I think may still have US codes: Reshner’s Royal Ranger, Never Again, Innova, The Golden City Captives, The Holy War, Reclaim the Darklands, Eagle Eyes, Treachery Makes it Tense, Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts, The Dark Side of Science, Ashlynn’s Dreams, Nadia’s Tears, Malia’s Miracles, and Varick’s Quest
There are plenty of UK codes, but not many US ones left.
Redeemer Chronicles (Fantasy)
Awakening – Redeemer Chronicles Book 1, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
The Holy War – Redeemer Chronicles Book 2, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
Reclaim the Darklands – Redeemer Chronicles Book 3, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
River’s Edge Ransom – Prequel to Redeemer Chronicles (Amazon) (email devyaschildren @ gmail.com for free codes)
Devya’s Children Series Links:
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – short stories featuring Jillian. (Amazon) (free codes)
The Dark Side of Science – official prequel to Devya’s Children; Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live. (Amazon) (Please email devyaschildren @ gmail.com for free codes)
Ashlynn’s Dreams – Genetically altered Dream Shaper learns her gift. (Amazon) (free codes)
Nadia’s Tears – Jillian tries to awaken her sister, Nadia, from a coma. (Amazon) (free codes)
Malia’s Miracles – Jillian and her siblings try to save a friend’s mother. (Amazon) (free codes)
Varick’s Quest – Jillian and Danielle get kidnapped. Nadia’s also in trouble. (Amazon) (free codes)
Reshner’s Royal Ranger (epic sci-fi) just made it there. (Amazon) (free codes)
Guardian Angel Files:
Spirit’s Bane – Allister and Mina are training to be Guardians. Satan’s out to get them. (Amazon) (free codes)
Kindred Spirits – Mina’s exiled to Earth. Allister’s stuck in the Heavens. (Amazon) (free codes)