Narrated by Poppy Royana
Run Time: 7 hrs and 24 mins
Holly Berry impulsively returns to her hometown and tries to buy the candy shop she worked in as a kid. What follows is a series of fortunate and unfortunate events.
– There wasn’t enough of a relationship with Dan to make his betrayal have any sort of sting. I get that the author needed to get to the current tale, but it just sort of made me question the MC’s judgment from the get-go.
– The main character’s kind of dumb. Especially near the end, she makes a lot of assumptions. Plus, if some obviously rich dude sweeps in and takes you to a uber fancy, crazy expensive place, then offers to pay the bill, your line is thank you, not I insist on paying my half with the bill not even seen.
– Not sure how the book got qualified as a romance. It’s super slow building. Not sure anything happens of significance until well into the third act.
– Characters are mostly endearing. Holly’s the sort of normal young adult you can root for.
– It’s more a slice of life sort of book than a romance, let alone a romantic comedy. I think I laughed like 2x.
– There’s a bit of mystery, but it’s not billed as a mystery.
– The bad guys stay pretty nebulous.
– I do like that there are two sides to every story and it comes down to who do you believe.
– Well narrated. I’m American. I’m a sucker for a British accent.
– Content Comments: There are a few curse words, and the opening scene almost crossed the line of clean/not clean, but mostly, it’s a clean book. Just not squeaky clean.
– Not really sure how this could be turned into a series. Things wrap up pretty well.
Easy to listen to. Light read. Only wanted to punch a character once or twice. Hinted at a happily ever after, so it’s all good.
Get 5 clean audio promos a month. Sign up here.
Audiobook Promotions …
Many of my 57 audible titles are listed on Audiobooks Unleashed.
Whether you’re looking for mystery or suspense or fantasy, I’ve got a title for you. Free codes are probably on audiobooks unleashed.
Normal links go to audible. *The Amazon labeled links are affiliate links. That means I get a very small payment from Amazon if you go through with a purchase.*
Review copies for many titles are available from StoryOrigin.
Redeemer Chronicles (Fantasy)
Awakening – Redeemer Chronicles Book 1, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
The Holy War – Redeemer Chronicles Book 2, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
Reclaim the Darklands – Redeemer Chronicles Book 3, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
River’s Edge Ransom – Prequel to Redeemer Chronicles (Amazon) (email devyaschildren @ gmail.com for free codes)
Devya’s Children Series Links:
Books 1-4 were re-released in audiobook form in 2021.
Ashlynn’s Dreams – Genetically altered Dream Shaper learns her gift. (Amazon) (Request a Review Copy)
Nadia’s Tears – Jillian tries to awaken her sister, Nadia, from a coma. (Amazon) (Request a Review Copy)
Malia’s Miracles – Jillian and her siblings try to save a friend’s mother. (Amazon) (Request a Review Code)
Varick’s Quest – Jillian and Danielle get kidnapped. Nadia’s also in trouble. (Amazon) (Request a Review Code)
Reshner’s Royal Ranger (epic sci-fi) just made it there. (Amazon) (click for sample)
If you’re all in and want to review the entire trilogy (~35 hrs!) go here.