Narrated by Anneliese Rennie
Run Time: 7 hrs and 27 mins
A college freshman gets the crap beaten out of her. While she convalesces in the hospital, her friend gets her a VR headset that allows her to enter a game world where she can speak for the first time in her life.
- This is one of my first encounters with this genre. Overall, I like what I see/hear.
- Candence’s troubles aren’t terribly realistic. Mute, yes, but not being able to learn sign language, no, at least not in the absence of other cognitive issues.
- Her college professor’s gross overreaction isn’t very realistic either. I get that profs can be stuck in their ways and pull some power-trippy stuff, but the way this lady reacted to her being late borders on will-get-you-and-the-college slapped with a lawsuit so fast your head’ll spin.
- A few things happen conveniently for the plot, like the MC losing her phone at just the right time.
- The guys who beat her up aren’t terribly realistic either. Harassment, yes. Verbal abuse, yes. But beat her up then leave her alive, no. Cruel people exist, but powerful people like that find ways for their crimes to be covered. This just seems amateurish to the max.
- The book is clearly angling for a sequel.
- The leveling up stats and such seemed random and arbitrary.
- The MC goes from knowing zip about games to expert way too quickly. It would be more realistic if she was a casual gamer in her distant past so had some familiarity with the process.
- All these nits (and a few others) aside, the story was still fun overall.
If you’re looking for a relatively clean litRPG story, this is a nice starting point.
Audiobook Promotions …
Many of my 42 audible titles are listed on Audiobooks Unleashed.
Whether you’re looking for mystery or suspense or fantasy, I’ve got a title for you. Free codes are probably on audiobooks unleashed.
Normal links go to audible. *The Amazon labeled links are affiliate links. That means I get a very small payment from Amazon if you go through with a purchase.*
Note: Filter by US if you’re looking for those codes as many titles are out.
Ones I think may still have US codes: Reshner’s Royal Ranger, Never Again, Innova, The Golden City Captives, The Holy War, Reclaim the Darklands, Eagle Eyes, Treachery Makes it Tense, Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts, The Dark Side of Science, Ashlynn’s Dreams, Nadia’s Tears, Malia’s Miracles, and Varick’s Quest
There are plenty of UK codes, but not many US ones left.
Redeemer Chronicles (Fantasy)
Awakening – Redeemer Chronicles Book 1, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
The Holy War – Redeemer Chronicles Book 2, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
Reclaim the Darklands – Redeemer Chronicles Book 3, MG fantasy (Amazon) (free codes)
River’s Edge Ransom – Prequel to Redeemer Chronicles (Amazon) (email devyaschildren @ gmail.com for free codes)
Devya’s Children Series Links:
Ashlynn’s Dreams Shorts – short stories featuring Jillian. (Amazon) (free codes)
The Dark Side of Science – official prequel to Devya’s Children; Genetically altered kids fight for the right to live. (Amazon) (Please email devyaschildren @ gmail.com for free codes)
Ashlynn’s Dreams – Genetically altered Dream Shaper learns her gift. (Amazon) (free codes)
Nadia’s Tears – Jillian tries to awaken her sister, Nadia, from a coma. (Amazon) (free codes)
Malia’s Miracles – Jillian and her siblings try to save a friend’s mother. (Amazon) (free codes)
Varick’s Quest – Jillian and Danielle get kidnapped. Nadia’s also in trouble. (Amazon) (free codes)
Reshner’s Royal Ranger (epic sci-fi) just made it there. (Amazon) (free codes)
Guardian Angel Files:
Spirit’s Bane – Allister and Mina are training to be Guardians. Satan’s out to get them. (Amazon) (free codes)
Kindred Spirits – Mina’s exiled to Earth. Allister’s stuck in the Heavens. (Amazon) (free codes)