Disclaimers: Forgive any spelling issues I heard the audiobook. And I don’t own the rights to the pic. Got it off of audible.com.
Cara’s a dreamwalker who’s practically raised by an evil sorcerer bent on gaining immortality. Captain Mason Khourey and Archer are mercenaries who get caught up in a tangled web of danger and intrigue. (Totally was not picturing the name spelled like that.)
– The world-building is fun, but a few aspects aren’t really fleshed out. Cara’s abilities aren’t really fully realized. I think that’s probably because this is book 1 of a longer story, but still, we’re told she’s a dreamwalker and then given maybe 2 glimpses of this at at play. Could be because it’s part one of a longer story.
– The characters are great, though I will say Cara kind of got annoying. I ended up liking Falin a lot more than Cara and she came into the book like 8 hrs into the story. There were a few points when she does something massively stupid that made me raise an eyebrow, but I can understand to some extent the necessity in moving the plot forward that way. It’s just not pretty.
– Several plot points fall under “well, that’s convenient” but it’s still a very compelling story.
– The end twist is excellent. But then the book continues, opening up a new aspect to the journey, which really messes with the sense of closure that could have been had.
– Content warnings: at least 2 “adult” content scenes; graphic violence and disturbing images
– The narrator’s performance worked wonders in bringing the story to life. It’s a long story, but he handled it well. The voices are distinct and pleasant to listen to.
If you’re a fan of the genre, this is definitely a series to snap up.
As Always …
If you want the chance to get the audiobook for free, please join Audiobook Readers’ Edge.
If you’re an author (or a narrator) with an audiobook you’d like featured, sign up for Audiobook Authors’ Edge.
Thanks for your time.
Julie C. Gilbert
Audiobook Edge and it’s Matchmaker Program are completely free now, but if you wanna donate anyway, go for it 😉
Er, just do it as a friend b/c otherwise, you’re basically just paying paypal.